· Mr Rumenya has learnt how to balance his administrative duties and farming. When he is not attending to the needs of his residents, he is busy on his farm, where he keeps dairy cattle and poultry, besides cultivating a variety of fruits.
Leading by example has enabled Mr Andrew Rumenya to transform livelihoods [...]
· As chance would have it, his venture got a shot in the arm through the government’s Economic Stimulus Programme (ESP) which helped farmers stock more fish in their ponds during the 2009/2010 financial year.
Moses Mutua, 34, is a cut above the rest in Kenya’s rabbit farming business. As the founder and [...]
• To ensure accountability, Botanic treasures works with groups of farmers.
• It takes nine months for a farmer to start earning from the ‘magic tree’ with a kilo of its dry produce attracting Sh300. Her firm buys both leaves, the back and to a minor extend, the roots of moringa [...]
· A moment at the site is eye opening on just the kind of information the young farmers seek from fellow members.
Forget the search for the elusive jobs. Youths who graduated from school recently are going back to farms and making good returns.
And the problem is no longer marketing their produce; they have [...]
By RAMENYA GIBENDI firstname.lastname@example.org
· Even with the establishment of the National Irrigation Board, whose mandate includes subsidising rice farming, farmers in the region have continued to make losses, leading many of them to turn to fast-maturing crops like water melon, yams, and indigenous vegetables.
· In 2007, after doing online research on dairy farming, [...]
Farmers may soon be able to access information relevant to their practices by way of technology platforms such as email and SMS. Agriculture extension officers will be equipped with laptops and cell phones to enable them to provide farmers with information easily.These are some of the ways the government is using to keep the [...]
Farmers will no longer be required to physically seek advice from an extension officer on how to yield more crops.
They will get information either through voice calls, text messaging, the internet and digital libraries and has instructed agricultural officers to set up desks at the local market on the respective sale days.
It is [...]
Mobile maize buying centres will be set up in parts of Eastern and Central regions to cushion farmers against exploitation by middle-men, Agriculture assistant minister Kareke Mbiuki has said.
The National Cereals and Produce Board is expected to open the centres in every district in Embu, Meru and Tharaka-Nithi counties.
Brokers have been taking advantage of [...]
Clad in grey khaki trousers, a blue windbreaker and matching cap, the hefty man edged closer to Olivia and scratched the back of her ears. Olivia sniffed his jacket briefly before ambling heavily across the concrete floor to the furthest corner of her shed to lie down, not interested in the big man or [...]