There are two main market destination for fresh mangoes, the local and export market
- Consumes 1% of mangoes produced in Kenya.
- Kenya Mangoes fetch better prices in Europe and Middle East between November and December where there is less competition
- Consume 99% of mangoes produced in Kenya (50% consumed at farm level, 49% sold for local consumption).
- Major outlets for fresh fruits are urban centres, processing industries ( e.g. Milly Fruit Industries, Kevian Foods), hotels, schools and the Armed Forces
- Mangoes grown in hot areas are sweeter than those grown in colder regions.
- Varieties that are fibre free are more preferred in the market
- Value addition helps to widen market scope and reduce post harvest loses. It gives the product a higher value. Green or ripe mangoes can be processed and value added into various products as follows:-
- Dried mangoes
- Mango juice
- Mango concentrate
- Mango jam
- Mango jelly
- Mango syrup/ canned mango