During the first three months mortality rates can be as high as 30-40% and disease control measures should be put in place.
In semi intensive system of production, care should be taken to reduce vulnerability by;
- Improved hygiene trough disinfection through use foot baths.
- Control of human traffic.
- Routine vaccination.
- Observation and early treatment of diseases
However, even with control measure in place diseases may occur. The common ones being:
Ecto parasites. The main types include: Mites, Ticks, Large flies.
- Spraying is done once a year using recommended acaricides.Frequent spraying is not encouraged because of residual effects of the acaricides.
Endo Parasites. Tapeworms are prevalent in birds under semi intensive system of production.
- Routine and regular deworming
Cannibalism and pecking
- Provision of adequate nutrient supplementation
- Treatment of injuries using antibiotic sprays.