There are basically two types of turkeys found in small holder backyards. These are:
1. The black medium large turkey, with mature females reaching 6-8 kilograms and males(stags) reaching 12-16 kilograms
2. The speckled or white turkey. These are much smaller birds with mature females reaching 4-6 kilograms and mature male reaching 8-10 kilograms.
Under normal circumstances these two types are found mixed in most small holdings. However the small breasted turkey has higher fertility, productivity and better brooders/ mothers.
1. Highly adaptable birds feeding largely on lash grass, seeds and occasionally insects
2. Under same conditions they grow much faster than domestic chicken
3. They have a higher dressed weight of 75 - 80 percent compared to broiler chicken which is 70 percent
4. Turkey are tastier and therefore have a much better market in the local and regional east African market.