The Importance of Mushroom Cultivation
- Nutritional value
- Protein content, 3-7% when fresh and 25- 40% when dry. Contain all essential amino acids, amides and lysine.
- Medicinal value
- Consumption of mushrooms slows down the spread and effect of cancer, heart disease, HIV/AIDS (by boosting immune system).
- Income generation and
- Employment creation.
Advantages of Mushroom Growing
- Use of idle structures,
- Involvement of small initial capital,
- Possible production all the year round
- Use of Agricultural waste as substrate- mostly waste materials from farms, plantations or factories.
- Is a Biodegrader hence environmental con-server.
Consumption benefits of mushrooms.
- Contain all essential amino acids
- Has Vit.C, cynocobalimin (Vit,B12) content found only in animal products
- Low in sodium ideal for people with heart and kidney ointments.
- Have iron, calcium, potassium, phosphorus and folic acid.
Challenges in Mushroom Growing
- Lack of skills on mushroom production
- Spawn is expensive and quality not guaranteed
- Lack of awareness of benefits of mushroom
- Traditional beliefs of some communities